Saturday, July 17, 2010

Day Eighteen - Travel Day (July 14, 2010)

Today was a pretty uneventful day in that it was comprised completely of traveling from one state in Mexico to another. We left Tuxtla-Gutierrez by cab (one of the scariest rides in my life…WAY worse than NYC cabs) and arrived at the airport about a half hour later. We took a plane from Tuxtla to Mexico City and then from Mexico City to Oaxaca. The plane rides were okay…a little turbulent, but not horrible. The coolest part of today was that I became much more confident in my Spanish-speaking abilities! I spent the entire two-hour ride from Tuxtla to Mexico City conversing with my neighbor. Angelica and I spoke completely in Spanish, as she did not know English, and we communicated very well!  I definitely needed that conversation. Once we arrived in Oaxaca, our driver Benito was waiting for us with the bus (he spent 14 hours driving from Tuxtla to Oaxaca).

To end the long travel day, Alex and I walked to the Zocalo (main square) of Oaxaca and encountered a parade. July 16th is the day of the Virgin of the Carmen and it seems the city had celebrations in preparation for it. There were tons of people dressed up in costumes, vendors selling balloons, cotton candy, and other types of street food, and loud fireworks. I also tried Caldo Tlalpeño, which was a spicy chicken soup. The soup also had a huge pepper in it called Chile Chipotle. I think one of my favorite parts of this trip has been the variety of spicy foods that I have tried…I LOVE it!

No comments:

Post a Comment