Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Itinerary Arrives!

I was so excited today when my trip leader, Jacques, sent an e-mail with the tentative itinerary for the upcoming trip.  I can't believe that I leave for my Fulbright orientation in Austin, TX in LESS THAN 3 weeks!  I have mixed feelings as I prepare for the trip...I am ecstatic to begin a month-long journey across southeastern Mexico, but as it turns out, I leave for Austin on Sunday the 27th, one day before the last day of school in New York City.  That means...

1. I'll miss the last day of school with my kids.  :-(
2. I still have to prepare for the end of the school year, while trying to organize my life before I leave.
3. When on Earth am I going to find the time to pack?!?!?!?

But, on the bright side, after our orientation in Austin, we'll be off to Cancún, staying at the Hotel Presidente Intercontinental for the first night!  I already looked up our hotels online, and needless to say, I am very impressed!  They all look amazing and most all of them have pools...to cool off on those deliriously hot summer days!  Cancún included, here's the basic guideline we'll follow:

June 30 - Cancún, Quintana Roo
July 1 - Valladolid, Yucatán
July 2-4 - Mérida, Yucatán
July 5-6 - Campeche, Campeche
July 7-8 - Palenque, Chiapas
July 9-12 - San Cristóbal de las Casas, Chiapas
July 13 - Tuxtla Gutiérrez, Chiapas
July 14-17 - Oaxaca, Oaxaca
July 18-19 - Veracruz, Veracruz
July 20-21 - Xalapa, Veracruz
July 22-23 - Puebla, Puebla
July 24-30 - Mexico City, DF

Of all the states we'll be visiting, I think I am most excited to spend time in Chiapas.  Much of this stems from a Comparative Politics course I took in college, where I wrote a paper on the Zapatista movement in Chiapas.  During my trip, I should have the opportunity to visit two indigenous communities: San Juan Chamula and Zinacantán, and go to a lecture entitled "An Overview of Chiapas in Images: from textiles to migration and Zapatismo."  Basically, this trip fits in nicely with my college research...how cool! 

Well, if I'm going to start packing eventually, I've got to empty my suitcase of the books I got from a recent Project Cicero event...here goes nothing!

5 comments:

  1. Lots of great places to see here! What's different from our trip is the two places in Veracruz, as opposed to Calakmul and Juchitan. I so envy you, Stephanie--this will be a great time for you. Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  2. You will be in my thoughts very often of everyday you are away, and in my prayers every single night at bedtime, praying that you will be happy and safe every minute of everyday and night until you return home......
    I love you (> mmmmmwaaaah.
    Mommy

    ReplyDelete
  3. and everyone will miss you!-andia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cant belive that you wrote a paper about"Zapatista Movement in Chiapas" and you might go to Zapatista! FROM:KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just came on too see any pictures!How many hours does it take to go to Mexico from USA?-ANDIA

    ReplyDelete