Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sharing the News

So with only five days left before the big trip, I still have LOTS to do!  I started packing last night (finally!) after my best friend Adela and I did some clothes shopping...now I have even more tops to bring with me.  I took care of a lot of end-of-year school duties today...taking down some in-class bulletin boards, finishing up some projects with my students, making copies of summer work for next year's class, etc. 

Perhaps the most important thing I did today was share the news of my trip with my kids.  Although they knew I was going to Mexico for much of the summer, they didn't really know the details.  I told them I would be leaving on Sunday and that I wouldn't be in school for the last day on Monday.  They seemed a little disappointed, but were then excited to learn that I was keeping an online journal of my trip.  :-)   Here are some notes just for them:

These are some things I need to keep in mind while in Mexico...
*Take a picture of churros (for Steven)
*Take a picture of the fried grasshoppers and ant eggs (for everyone!)
*Check to see if the Gulf oil spill has reached the coast of Mexico (for Janelle)
*Look for Eliomar's grandma's house in one of the small towns (it has a big blue door)

As I get the final details in order - finish things in my classroom, pack my luggage, print out tons of documents, get my electronic equipment ready (laptop, cameras, Adela's camcorder), and prepare to say goodbye to so many people - I'm happy to say that I am thrilled that June 27th is almost here.  I am extremely excited for my trip south of the border.  I'm confident that this will be an extraordinary journey and one that I will benefit from in more ways than I can even imagine.  My next update will come to you live from Austin, Texas.  See ya'll soon!

11 comments:

  1. wow! that must be fun.i will miss Ms. Skiba!!!!!! from:3-311 Andia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I CAN NOT WAIT FOR THESE FRIED GRASSHOPPERS AND ANT EGGS!-ANDIA

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!It must be so much fun to be going to MEXICO! I will miss you Ms.Skiba!ENJOY YOUR FUN TRIP!!! FROM:KAREN

    ReplyDelete
  4. tried the fried grasshoppers in Oaxaca-nasty, nasty, nasty! You are going to have a great trip! Patrick

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the messages guys! I'm going to miss 3-311 too!!!! I miss you all already!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good luck on your trip! take lots of pictures soon!- andia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a question,are you going to visit the stadium and watch the soccer game?If you do can you tell me the results?-pablo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the score for mexico and argentina was 1 (mexico) and 3(argentina)!-andia!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you enjoy your trip to Mexico. We will all miss you! Especially me! Take lots of pictures please. Thanks! I will miss you.
    JANELLE

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi 3-311,

    I hope you had a good last day of school! No, Pablo...the soccer games are being held in South Africa. I might watch the games on tv though! Sadly, Mexico lost, so I won't be able to see them play anymore. But...I might get to go to a Mexican baseball game. If I do, I'll put up some pictures! I miss you all very much!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That was sad but I can not wait for Argentina and Germany!- Andia

    ReplyDelete